Sunday 28 August 2011

Body Image

As the mother of an 11 yr old girl, her body image seriously concerns me. She has the figure of an adult woman, and is very concious of this, covering it up with jumpers etc. The most recent problem has been her preoccupation with the scales, how much she weighs, and comments that she is fat.
We have had long chats about this, and the fact that a lot of her friends havent started developing yet, so have very slim, boyish figures, whereas she is very curvy, and always will be. We have made an agreement, that she is to eat what she wants, when she wants it, and is to stop weighing herself. In return I will tell her if I think that she is putting on too much weight, and needs to eat a little more healthily for a while.
I do think that fashion industry has a lot to answer for, the stick thin models that are used in photo shoots are not promoting healthy body shapes to young impressionable girls.
Today on Twitter there was a link to the new Vera Wang collection, gorgeous dresses, but I was more concerned that the models needed to eat something.


Im sorry but they dont look like healthy women to me.
So to combat the images that the fashion industry ram down our young impressionable girls throats, today me and my daughter have spent time watching videos and looking at pictures of healthy women who are celebrated for their curves.


Thank God for amazingly sexy women like J.Lo, and Beyonce who have curves, and arent afraid to flaunt them.




2 comments:

  1. As a mother of 2 young girls I just want to ram a big meat & veg pie down those models throats. So pale and sullen. What is to like or aspire to there! I have lots of curves - probably too many but what can I say, I like pies... and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more. We recently watched a Pathe News Video from 1955 (the year my husband was born) and one of the features was a fashion collection being displayed to the young Queen and assorted posh people. The models looked wonderful - not only did they have decent busts, but they also had sensible waists and even little tummies.

    ReplyDelete